Key principles of lean manufacturing and an industrial perspective
Ehab Abu Al-Ouf
Eyad Abu Baker
The Propose of this project is to contribute to the understanding of lean and increase
the general awareness, also to develop a practical lean manufacturing methodology
and to implement key principles of lean as part of the methodology in real case study.
The project will go through sequential steps as follows :
1. Initial literature review in the broad area of lean manufacturing
2. Identify the key principles and concepts to be utilized in the study
3. Comprehensive literature review
4. Develop an initial framework to address the above issues
5. Pilot study in practice and the potentials of applying lean on site (industrial visits)
6. Refine the framework based on the feedback from point 5
7. Implement the resulted methodology in a real case fully
8. Derive a set of guidelines based on results from theory and practice
Throughout these steps, Field study has been made to several companies which were
evaluated in order to choose the ideal Case study, SPSS software was used to
Analyze the given Data .
MS.Visio Software was used (along with the other known MS Office Software's ) to
draw the Block Diagrams needed and The layout of the targeted Company.
The process of Drawing the Value Stream mapping in order to: Make clear the current
production situation by drawing the material and information flows .
Value stream mapping is a Lean process-mapping method for understanding the
sequence of activities used to produce a product, also a map that outlines the current
and future state of a production system, allowing users to understand where they are
and what wasteful acts need to be eliminated and serve as a critical tool during the
review process and can reveal substantial opportunities to reduce costs, improve
production flow, save time, reduce inventory, and improve environmental
performance. Then the user applies lean manufacturing principals to transition into the
future state .
Designing an improved Layout integrated with the Future designed Value Stream
Map to achieve the smooth flow of production and overcome the problems that comes
from the Current Layout and the un-organized arrangement of Resources .
At the end, Results are discussed and Recommendations has been set to achieve the
Goals of Lean Manufacturing of Customer satisfaction and smooth Flow Production .